The Benefits of Using Trekking Poles
There are many advantages of using trekking poles when you hike. Poles aren't just a gimmick invented by outdoor companies and they aren't just for old people. The right set of poles offers many benefits to hikers of all ages and skill levels, including:
- Poles reduce the strain and stress on your knees and hips by transferring some of the weight to your arms and shoulders.
- By transferring some of the load, trekking poles reduce fatigue and help you hike further, faster and more efficiently.
- When you are traveling downhill, poles help absorb some of the shock that is normally placed on your knees.
- Using poles helps you develop a walking rhythm which also increases hiking efficiency.
- Poles can also be a great tool to use to push bush out of your way, test out the strength of ice or the depth of puddles.
- They can help you keep your footing when traveling across loose rock and gravel and are very helpful for river crossings.
As you can see, trekking poles can be a very helpful tool for hiking and backpacking trips. You'll go further, travel faster and more more efficiently on the trail. For more information on trekking poles, watch this video: How to Use Trekking Poles or check the buying guide for more hiking gear tips.
If you are in the market for a new set of trekking poles follow this link to save an additional 25% at Sierra Trading Post including poles from Leki, Komperdell and Black Diamond.