Reviewed by Love my home from Boston, MA on Thursday, February 7, 2013
The cup that holds the gel fits securely in the center ring and cannot be jostled out of place. I don't think the item came with instructions, so you have to figure out the few steps to put it together. I buy clean-burning gel for fireplaces and scoop it out of its can into the smaller cup with an old spoon. Even if you spill some, the item is all glass and metal so won't catch fire. The flame is beautiful and burns steady. It doesn't throw sparks like a real fire. The item seems large and heavy for the small flame, but I think that is for safety. The flame would never reach the top of the glass. I use it on our fireplace hearth or on a slate platform on the deck. It lights in 5 seconds and can be put out just as quickly. Its as easy as using an electric fireplace--but the fire is real. I love it. I think the trend now is for smaller containers you can put on a mantle or table. But you never have to worry that this one will be knocked over.