Reviewed by ChrisMTNMan from Georgia on Monday, April 8, 2013
So unlike most reviews, I will start with the cons:
1. Yes, I could see the zipper not staying closed. If you are in full zip mode, however, there is the typical velcro zipper strap that keeps the zipper in place. If you have it partially zipped, then yes it could open up more. The glass is half full part of this, though, is it is really, really easy to zip open and closed. In my experience with sleeping bags, that is huge. I am fairly claustrophobic, and if a bag does do not open when I am in it, I freak out.
2. Yes, it would be so nice to have this as a full zip so you could use it as a blanket when the weather is right for that.
So why five stars when there are these issues, BECAUSE OF THE PRICE!!!! This bag is a great deal at STP's normal 25% discounted price, but you take on their extra percent off sales and this becomes an absolute steal. Just try to find an 800 down bag for anywhere close to what you pay for this
1. This is super light and the stuff size is much, much smaller than what is listed in the Specs section. Those are just exact measurements of the stuff sack LAID FLAT AND NOT COMPRESSED AT ALL.
2. I can't say yet if it can go down to 30 degrees (wearing thermal underwear and using a thermal pad - which all bag ratings expect you to do), but I do know that its fill amount (14.5 oz) is the same as bags 3x what I paid with the same 30 degree rating.
3. Did I mention how good a price this thing is? I really wanted a bag I could squeeze down to nothing and be light weight so I could pack in a smaller backpack with my hammock and this fits the bill. Add in some freeze dried food, etc. and you have some serious fun without killing your back.