- Acadia is the oldest national park east of the Mississippi river.
- Cadillac Mountain, a mountain located on Mount Desert Island within Acadia National Park, has one of the earliest sunrise times in the United States due to its eastern location and height.
- Acadia National Park was listed in the top 10 most visited national parks in 2014. It was ranked in 9th place with over 2.5 million annual visitors.
- Each year trails are closed in the park to protect the nesting of the peregrine falcon, the fastest bird in the world.
- A big fire in 1947 burned a large portion of the National Park's coniferous, or cone-bearing, trees which enabled the growth of many new deciduous trees.
- Acadia offers over 120 miles of trails that cover a spectrum of difficulty.
- The Junior Ranger Program, a narrated boat cruise, and a nature center with many hands-on exhibits makes Acadia National Park an kid-friendly destination.
What did we miss? Let us know in a comment below.
Hungry for more? Check out these posts below:
National Parks Quiz
How Well Do You Know The Appalachian Trail