- At a surface elevation of 6,225 feet this lake is the largest alpine lake in North America.
- It's the second deepest lake in the United States behind Crater Lake and is the largest lake by volume in the United States behind the five Great Lakes at 122,160,280 acre·ft.
- The area features a number of ski resorts, summer outdoor recreation, casinos and tourist attractions.
- In addition to hiking, biking, water sports and beach activity, people flock to this area for the snow. There are many ski resorts in the area including one that hosted the 1960 Olympic Winter Games.
- This area has been the backdrop from many movies and TV shows including the open sequence of Bonanza and the 1974 film The Godfather II.
Do you know the name of this mystery destination? Enter your Guess in the comments below.
Have you ever visited this area? When were you last there?