Look at the photo, read the below clues then comment with your best guess in the comment section below.
- covering nearly 47,000 square miles, this is by far the most extensive mountainous region between the Appalachians and the Rocky Mountains.
- The United States Army Corps of Engineers lakes that were created by damming the river beginning in 1911 have provided a large tourist, boating and fishing economy. Six lakes were created by dams in one river basin from 1911 through 1960.
- If thru-hiking is your thing, hop on the 230-mile hiking trail that passes through this region.
- Contrary to the many dams that have created lakes in this region, this area is also home to an untouched river that was the first river to be preserved with National River status. This river is a popular destination for fishing, canoeing and camping.
- Although referred to as the _______ mountains, the region is actually a high and deeply dissected plateau.
Do you know what popular outdoor adventure region we are talking about? Have you ever visited this area? Enter the answer in the comments below and let us know if you've ever visited this outdoor destination.
Did you like this mystery destination game? Try some of other mystery destinations.
Reptiles, Sand and Mountains... Oh My!
A Mountain, Lake and Wreckage
A Backpacker's Dream Trail
A Western Ski Town
A Large, Dark and Uncrowded National Park
A Bridge, Whitewater Rafting and Great Climbing