- At 5,268 feet tall, this mountain is the highest point in the state and was believed to be the first point in the U.S. to see the sun every morning (which isn't true).
- The local Native Americans named the mountain "The Greatest Mountain".
- In 1930, the state's governor began acquiring lands around the mountain and in 1931 he established the area as a state park named after himself.
- The first recorded climb of this mountain was in 1804. Henry David Thoreau also climbed the mountain in 1840 and recorded his ascent in a well-known chapter of The Maine Woods.
- Many backpackers aspire to climb this mountain as it is the official terminus of a well-known hiking trail.
There you have it. If you know the answer enter it in the comments below then forward this to your friends and see if they know the answer to this Mystery Destination game.
Did you enjoy this Mystery Destination game? Check out some of our other Mystery Destinations.
City with an Outdoor Attitude
Small Town with Big Adventures
Deep Blue Lake