Alas, I know I'm in the far minority here. In fact, I'm willing to wager that if you're reading this, you're in the camp that crowded gyms beget a big time headache. I understand.
Overcrowded gyms can even hinder people from getting started on those fitness-related New Year's resolutions. But they don't have to. You can get started on them right in your own home — without waiting in line and signing up for your equipment. And depending on where you live, the weather might also deter you from making it to the gym. It's a win-win!
No Equipment Required New Year's Workout
1. Lateral lunges: These are a great exercise that gets you in the frontal plane! Start from a standing position and take a big step to your right, making sure your toe is pointing forward. Push the hips back and descend into your lunge, pushing back up and into your standing position to finish
2. Skater jumps: Make the lateral lunge dynamic by leaping from one foot to the other, softly landing on the ground before leaping to the other side again.
3. Pike presses: From a high plank position, walk your hands toward your feet until you form an inverted V. Keep your neck long as you look toward your knees. Bend at the elbows to bring the top of your head down toward the ground, and push back up. Progress by placing your feet on an elevated surface. Degress by placing your hands on an elevated surface.
4. Squat thrust w/ hand tap: Start in a standing position, and bring your hands to the ground. Jump the feet back to a plank position, jump both feet in, and then immediately back out. Then step each hand out in front of you, and then immediately back in. Repeat.
5. Side plank rotations with toe tap: From a high plank position, sweep your left leg underneath you and tap in front of you as you rotate into a side plank. Return back to your plank, and repeat on the right side.
6. Split squat jumps: Ahh, one of my favorite exercises to hate! It burns so good ;) Start in a split squat position, lowering down and then jumping up, switching your feet in the air, and safely landing back on the ground, before descending into your next lunge.
New Year's Workout Tips:
- Pretend you're working out in a warm, tropical place
- Utilize the space around you
- Wear blindingly bright, tropical colors
- Incorporate intervals to get your HR up and warm you up
- Make friends with the snow :)