Top 5 Excuses to Not Bike to Work
1. I'm not in good enough shape - Start slow. If you ride at an easy pace just one day a week you'll slowly get in better shape. In a few months, you'll be in great shape.
2. I don't have enough time - If you get your workout during your normal commute time, you're actually freeing up the time you spend working out. Also, in many urban areas shorter commutes may actually be quicker by bicycle.
3. I can't shower at work - Most bike commuters don't need to shower after a short commute. Ride slow and stay cool on the way to work then you can ride hard on the way home. Also, leave a brush and a few toiletries at work to freshen up.
4. It's too dangerous - If you obey traffic signs, stay to the right, wear bright clothing and wear a helmet you should be as safe as driving in a car. If possible, choose the route with the least traffic.
5. There's no bike parking - If there isn't a bike rack at your office, bring your bike inside. Is there a space in a storage room, in your cube/office or in a backroom? Tell your employer that you want to start riding your bike to work. They may be willing to provide a storage space or install a bike rack to encourage others to join in.
Hopefully, you have been motivated to look past the top five excuses not to bike to work. I hope you'll try commuting by bicycle. Do you have any other ideas to help people get past their bike to work concerns? Enter your ideas in the comments below.