When I was 19 years old, I was living in central Iowa going to college and working about 30 hours a week. At such a young age, I felt like I was slipping into a routine that didn't fit the kind of life I wanted to live. I packed up my pickup truck and moved to Colorado. I spent 3 years living in Summit County, Colorado where I snowboarded at Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain, Vail or A-Basin over 100 days each season.
The ski bum lifestyle was a lot of fun but it was time to finish college, buy a house and have a family. A series of events eventually led to my current situation, which is operating the blog for Sierra Trading Post. I put in at least 40 hours a week but I also make the most of every opportunity to get outside and do the things I enjoy.
Whether it is a long Saturday day hike, climbing a mountain peak, a day snowboarding or a simple evening walk with my family, we all try to keep adventure as part of our daily lifestyle. Below are some tips on choosing an adventurous lifestyle.
- Plan for Adventure: My wife and I pulled out our calendar in February and chose which weekends we were going to go camping for the entire summer. Instead of waiting till the last minute to decide what we are going to do on our summer weekends, we put our family camping trips as first priority. We can be flexible and move weekends around if something important comes up but for the most part, we have already chosen when and where we are camping each weekend.
- Commit to the things you enjoy: We already purchased our family ski passes for next ski season. If you purchase early, you will receive the lowest possible price plus now we have committed to skiing many weekends next season. If you wait and buy individual ski passes, you'll always find reasons not to go.
- Hang out with other people who love getting outside: We all have friends who find excuses or are always too busy to go hiking, backpacking or climbing. If you find friends who are adventurous and have a similar schedule to yours, start planning trips. The outdoors are always more fun with friends.
- Use whatever spare time you have wisely: Of course you are busy. We're all busy but if you do spend your limited free time wisely, you'll be more likely to do the things you enjoy. Can you ride your bike to work, squeeze in an hour of bouldering at the gym after work or go for a 30 minute walk on your lunch break? These little efforts will be fun and will keep you in shape so you are ready for your bigger adventures.
- Share your love of the outdoors with your children: If you start children hiking and camping at a young age and keep making these experiences fun for them, they will quickly love spending time with you in the outdoors. Having children is not an excuse to give up the things you enjoy, it is an opportunity to share your passions with the next generation.
If you love backpacking, mountain biking, hiking, climbing, skiing, snowboarding or car camping, make it a priority and stop letting the distractions in your life keep you from enjoying the things you truly love.
Do you have any other tips for making the most of your adventurous lifestyle? Share your ideas in the comments below. Your tip may be just the motivation someone else needs to add adventure to their lifestyle. We appreciate you sharing with this community.