The first Earth Day was established on April 22, 1970 and the idea of promoting a day to recognize what we can do to reduce waste, reuse products and recycle our trash has grown each year. Most communities have Earth Day events, tree plantings or waterway clean up projects. Check with your local community to see how you can get involved. If you have children, be sure to get them thinking about what they can do to help reduce their impact on the Earth.
Easy Things You Can Do To Go Green This Earth Day
- Recycle- You already do this, right?
- Bike to work- Save the gas and get a workout.
- Buy clothing and outdoor gear made of recycled materials.
- Install a low flow shower head and take shorter showers to conserve water.
- Use a reusable water bottle and ditch the one-time use bottles.
- Plant a garden- Those grocery store tomatoes from South America have consumed a lot of resources just to get to your table.
- Plant a xeriscape garden and stop watering your yard.
- Hand down your used clothing so other can reuse them.
- Plant a tree.
- Check the air pressure in your tires and be sure your car is getting the best gas mileage possible.
These are just a few ideas. There are many other things you can do this Earth Day to reduce waste and help preserve our natural resources. Remember, you don't have to install solar panels or buy an electric car, you can make a difference by making just one small change from the list above.
If you are looking for some new clothing or outdoor gear, check out the selection of clothing made from recycled materials at Sierra Trading Post. We are proud to be working with many brands that have made a large commitment to using recycled materials. Some of these brands include Patagonia, Columbia Sportswear, prAna, Merrell and Scarpa.
For more information on what Sierra Trading Post does to reduce our impact on the planet, check out our Think Green Page.