As you know, Sierra Trading Post loves saving you money. We do it everyday by offering Great Deals on Great Brands but we also try to give some money saving tips here on the SocialHub. We know that a lot of people are getting ready to travel for the Holidays and whether you are going to Grandma's for Thanksgiving, visiting family for Christmas or just trying to use those vacation days before you lose them, you can save some money and time by traveling light and only bringing carry-on luggage with you. Remember to not only bring a wheeled carry-on but also a well organized messenger bag, purse or backpack for those miscellaneous items.
In recent years, airlines have started charging fees for checking bags. In most cases you are able to bring two bags on the plane with you. If you can lighten your load you'll save time checking in bags and waiting for them to arrive at your final destination. You can get out of the airport and on your way to visit your family, relax on the beach or make it to your business meeting on time.
You've already spent time choosing one airline over another for a few dollar difference, you've carefully chosen your hotel to be near the event you are attending and you've mapped out the inexpensive restaurants in the area so why not take a few minutes to figure out how to lighten your luggage. It could be worth the $25 in savings each way of your trip. Here are a few tips to help you pack less for your vacation.
* Consider packing clothing that is thin and packable
* Only bring the items you really need
* Bring clothing items that layer well for multiple outfits
* Pack reversible clothing: Some skirts can be worn one way then hand washed in a hotel sink and worn the opposite way the following day
* Consider doing laundry on your trip. This is especially easy if you are staying with family.
* If you purchase items on your vacation consider shipping them home. You can easily ship a flat rate box home for less than checking a bag.
* Know the airlines requirements and be sure your luggage fits within the required carry-on size.
The basic carry-on size requirements are 22"x 14" x 9". Watch this video for more information on luggage size requirements and saving money on baggage fees.
For some tips on buying luggage check out this Travel Buying Guide
Save Time and Money With Carry-On Luggage
By Andy Hawbaker
November 25, 2012
Join the Conversation