I searched online for how to build a snowboard rack. I found Pinterest projects that were just too cute for what I wanted and some DIY sites that had plans for snowboard racks that would cost a fortune in lumber. I just wanted something really simple, functional and inexpensive. Luckily, I found the perfect solution in the isle at a local hardware store.
DIY Snowboard Rack
What you'll need:
- Enough wall space to store your snowboards
- 2 hooks for each board. I used ladder hanger hooks because they are strong enough to hold the weight plus they are coated in black vinyl to prevent your edges from being damaged.
- A power drill to predrill the holes.
- A stud finder.
How-to Make the Snowboard Rack:
- Clear the space in your garage or in your home.
- Measure and predrill holes where the hooks will go. This will vary with the size of the board. Be sure to plan enough space so you can pull each board out individually. I also like to keep the boots in the bindings when they're stored so plan enough space for the boots too.
- Drive the hooks into the wall. Be sure you are driving the hooks into the studs and not just the drywall.
- Screw the hooks all the way in but be sure the end with the hook pointing up.
- Place the snowboards on the hooks.
The finished product cost me about $20 and roughly 20 minutes of time. It's a super easy to do project and an inexpensive way to store snowboards. As a bonus, I'm also storing the snowboard boots in the bindings and helmets on the hooks. This has helped cleaned up the mess in my gear closet.
Bonus tip: If you store your boots this way, you'll want to bring them inside the night before you go snowboarding (if your garage gets cold). Nobody wants to start a day with cold boots.
Give it a try and let us know what you think in the comments below.